Thursday, July 10, 2008

harvest


We harvested the first veggies from the garden today:
Swiss chard!
They were just a little young, but we wanted to eat some before we left on our trip. They are so colorful and delicious. And very good for you. Better than kale, which is why we chose to plant chard.
Here is how I prepared it tonight: on medium heat, I put a teaspoon of olive oil in a pan and added 1 coursely chopped garlic clove. I put the colorful chard stalks in first, let them saute for a minute, and then added the leaves, which I had cut in 1/2. When it seemed it was getting dry, I added a sprinkle of water. I also added salt and pepper. I let this cook until the leaves were wilted, but not much longer. That's it!

Delicious!

I'm a firm believer in vegetables tasting like vegetables.

We also picked some of these hot mommas. I'm no slouch when it comes to heat, but man, these are spicy. We'll have to use these with a lot of caution.

4 comments:

Brow said...

What else do vegetables taste like?

cloudberryjam said...

let's see...tin cans. or butter. or junk. Lots of people add too much vinegar to vegetables for some reason. I've been thinking a lot about over-spicing things lately. I think sometimes people forget that food, fresh food, can taste good on it's own, without being smothered in things that alter its taste. And I'm not talking about midwestern bland cooking. It's about the vegetables themselves. I'm trying to find a quote from MFK Fisher about the taste of a plain potato and how it is this complex thing, but I can't find it.

Savannah said...

i love the pink color of swiss chard,.....and youre right, veggies should taste like veggies,.....

Unknown said...

the nyt said that swiss chard is one of the best foods you can eat. those peppers look really hot i guess the greener the hotter i want to eat one. i hope the bunnies dont eat it when you are gone.