Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I always wanted to be Beth


West Virginia Public Radio isn't the greatest (they do have some really good local Appalachian music programs, though) so I sometimes listen to random clips off of the NPR website when I'm at home. I'll queue them up and listen to them as if they were on the radio. This is totally not what I'm posting about though.

Anyway, this morning I found an article on Little Women. If you have any interest, give it a listen. It's about how much people loved the book as young girls and then less so when they went back to it as adults. Hmmm...perhaps it's time I revisited one of my all-time favorites. I haven't read it in it's entirety in twelve years. I think about it often. I hope it doesn't change for me. However, some things already have.

Some of the girls in the article reminded me of myself when I was younger: they loved Jo, but they didn't get her decision to turn down Laurie's marriage proposal and then go on to marry Fritz Bhaer. Like, seriously, what gives? Who could ever turn down Laurie, right? And then stupid Amy ends up with him, which was a total tragedy when I was 13.
But now I get it. Bhaer is the better man. He is right for her. She would have compromised herself with Laurie and that's something you can't really understand as a child. But now I know that I certainly wouldn't want to marry anyone who would even consider marrying Amy. So, there you go.

Anyway, it isn't the right season to start rereading this (Little Women is an autumn or winter book if there ever was one). But I do think it's time to reassess it's influence on me. I have a feeling I'm still going to love it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i liked beth the best too but she gets killed. This book was aggravating and I think i read it when i was 10. I fell asleep at the movie. that is the only time I fell asleep in the theater. I know there is a meg, and shes like the biggest ass of them all, this is probably why i didn't like this book. sorry. maybe i will go back to it.