Monday, June 16, 2008

When food is too expensive - Gallo Pinto



Has anyone else been hurting from the spike in food prices? It seems like what was $1.50 a year ago is now like $3, especially in the produce section. It's such a big change that I have a hard time justifying a lot of "unnecessary" food purchases these days. I haven't bought fruit in at least a couple weeks. Aaron and I have cut our meat intake back quite a bit and have replaced it with other, more creative sources of protein, mainly beans and whole grains. I keep reading these articles in the Times about just how serious this extra cost has become and thinking "okay, so I'm not turning into a miser, everyone is hurting" (articles here, here, here, and here).

Last summer, we went to Costa Rica and fell in love with Gallo Pinto, Rice and Beans. They are so good. So good. We ate them for every single meal -- breakfast through dinner -- and almost every meal while we were there. They're best for breakfast, but at home we eat them for dinner. All of the guide books said that the food in Costa Rica isn't much to speak of, however, we were totally impressed. The pineapple alone is enough to make another trip. I have never had pineapple that delicious. They also often served the gallo pinto with this incredible, fresh cheese. I don't even know how to describe it. It was like farmer's cheese but a little firm. It was almost like if tofu and farmer's cheese had a baby and salted it down for you to enjoy. Also, they served it with this amazing Salsa Lizano sauce that is just mouth-watering. Aaron and I brought a bottle home...I'm pretty sure it's all gone, but the bottle is still in the fridge for sentiment's sake. I am sure you city-slickers could find it pretty easily in an international market.

I'm not really one for traveling and then suddenly becoming an expert in that culture's cuisine. This is really the first time I've ever attempted to recreate something I've eaten on a trip. However, I think I finally realized the power of making something from your travels for-keeps, food-wise. I guess one reason to travel is to find things you might be missing out on.

I started making this soon after we moved to WV. With the wedding coming up and the cost of relocating, we tried to cut our grocery bills (as well as the rest) down, finding recipes that really utilized affordable food. I have pretty much perfected the recipe, I think. And now that food prices are out of control, we're still eating it. But we eat it for more reasons than simply cost, it's also delicious. And versatile! The good thing about a food like rice and beans, that millions of people make millions of different ways every day, is that it lends itself to your pantry and what's at hand. I like to make it with lots of beans for lots of protein. I usually make a huge pot and freeze about 1/3 for a few meals down the road.


Gallo Pinto (Rice and Black Beans)


1 lb. black beans, soaked over night
2 cups rice
3 cups water (reserve the water from the cooked beans for this)
2 medium onions, chopped
3 bell peppers (two green and one red is what I usually use, but the 'stop light' was calling us this time)
one bunch cilantro, chopped
1 green chili, cut length-wise and chopped fine


Cook the black beans until done, reserving remaining liquid. In pot, saute rice in 1 tbsp. oil for a couple minutes until just hinting brown. Add 1/2 the chopped peppers, chili, onion, and cilantro, and plenty of salt and pepper. Saute 1-2 more minutes, then add 3 c. water (using some of the bean water -- it will make everything taste good and it gives things a nice color). Bring to a boil and then simmer with lid on until rice is just cooked. I always try to remember to keep it a little firm because it will cook some more. Add the beans and the remaining veggies, stir, add some more liquid if needed, take off the heat (you want to rest of the peppers and onions to be warm, but still really crisp).

To serve: saute portion of rice and beans in frying pan until it begins to develop crusty layer. (Pictured here un-sauteed.) Serve with sour cream, extra cilantro, and if you can find it, Salsa Lizano.
Optional: we usually make a couple of over-easy eggs and stick them on top because it's a really, really good combo. Plus, that makes it more of a meal.
In total, this meal came to about $8.33 or so. With eggs and condiments, it's more. However, we usually get at least 10 servings out of this (usually a bit more), so that's around $0.83/serving. Even these days we can afford that.



1 comment:

T said...

I have never recovered from my passion for Gallo Pinto, Rice and Beans since my own trip to Costa Rica in the 1990's. I've never been able to recreate it (of course, I can harldy recreate ramen noodles). Thank you for a wonderful recipe and travel memory.