Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

We had a bit of a misfit Thanksgiving, inviting another orphaned couple over for turkey and whatnot. We missed Dana and Neal, our usual Thanksgiving company, but I just needed to stay in a home-base this year.

Also, since we were doing that, we decided it was a good idea to try to cook everything from scratch, for the first time ever. I am all about turkey on normal days of the year, I think it's a good, cheap, unfancy food (can't beat taking a real turkey sandwich to work for lunch). But I've never done the whole meal. Most unusually, I got most of the recipes online, and I can't take photos that are any better than the ones already up, so I'll give you the links:

  • Pecan Pie
  • Corn Bread Stuffing (which I have to admit, wasn't the best. Aaron and I think that the trick might be to have some white bread in with the cornbread, instead of our home-baked dense wheat)
  • Sweet Potato and Sage Gratin (one note, even though people post things on the internet and provide beautiful pictures, it does not mean they are good recipe authors. This was a beautiful recipe and it tasted great, but some important things felt missing)
  • Aaron made the gravy, and used his own experiments, while taking a tip from Martha to puree roasted vegetables (We netflixed Martha's Thanksgiving special for inspiration.)
  • We made our usual mashed potatoes with nutmeg and added 2 tbsp. of horseradish and 1+ cup of buttermilk to make it delicious.

And some other tasty things. Maria made beautiful cranberry sauce and baklava. I've never had baklava actually made by a Greek citizen before. It was out of this world.

Cooking felt good. I liked taking the day to cook....and cook and cook with Aaron. It was therapeutic. It's something I wish we could do more often. We do good at cooking together and don't fight too much (however, with our limited counter space, things did get a little tense when the gravy needed to be made). I can't say the same for wallpapering. More to come on that, later.

4 comments:

Brow said...

At least you kept it colonial. Sounds like you had a good time. How many of you were there?

Also, thanks for the kind words. Comments like that tend to be North Stars on a balck night at sea. I don't have a map but at least I know where I'm going.

cloudberryjam said...

we had one couple over. But we cooked like we had 10 couples coming.

Dana K said...

we missed you, amber and aaron. we had a big potluck with the usuals. Highlights were sweet potatoes with hazelnut, spoonbread and mince pie. There was so much pie. And while we were having our festive foodie revels inside, someone came and stole our porch swing right off the porch. The mean streets of Ann Arbor...

cloudberryjam said...

Dana, that sounds amazing! MINCE PIE! Mince! Pie!