Sunday, December 14, 2008

Chickens and Peppermint Ribbons

Aaron and I recently re-wallpapered the kitchen. The old people that lived here before us had really boring taste (as you can tell from the living room drapes that we still haven't taken down that are featured in many pictures). Here is the before picture of the kitchen wallpaper:






Blah. Totally not me. I always wanted a red kitchen. Red and white. I didn't have a picture in my mind of what I wanted or how exactly it would come together, but I've been slowly accumulating red items for about 10 years (I was the 16 year old that used her Christmas money to buy a red kitchen clock instead of whatever 16 year olds buy). And so, after years of apartment leases that didn't allow painting, when we bought the house I was going to finally do things my way. And I wanted my red kitchen!







As I was trying to decide on how we should do it, I kept thinking Candy Store. Something fun and juicy. We were only re-papering one wall, the others are painted a flat white, so I could go a little wild without creating a monster.


I think Aaron and I turned into monsters trying to hang the wallpaper, though. It sucked big time. We both agreed that we will never do it again. Trying to time everything just right and align everything was frustrating and by the end we weren't speaking to each other. But now it's up, it's cheery, we're happy.

It looks kind of Christmasy. It's like pretty wrapping paper.



We got some beautiful ribbon candy in the mail -- it's so nice looking that I don't want to eat it. I just like putting it in the chicken by the polka dots, and lifting the lid.


No comments: