Thursday, July 23, 2009

Two Eggs

I don't think I've mentioned yet that we got a replacement chicken. We found someone willing to give up a Rhode Island Red. She's quite a bit bigger than Henny-Penny. And meaner, uglier, bossier, and mouthier (she's taken to waking up the neighborhood at 7am). We decided to name her after someone who deserves to have my meanest chicken named after them. We decided to name her Large Marge.




I don't think I would get another Rhode Island Red if I continue to raise chickens in town. Way too loud and too big. Also, interestingly, even though Henny-Penny (a Red Star) is much smaller, she lays eggs that are way bigger. They won't even fit in the egg carton.

Yesterday we got two eggs in one day for the first time. Marge's morning whining actually paid off, because it happened that we fed them twice in the morning, and came home to find two eggs. We fed them twice before we left for work again today: two more eggs. We've got a system and we're in business.

No comments: