Monday, September 21, 2009

"She's no longer with us!"

Before I go on, I have to say that Aaron is probably the sweetest person I've ever met.

That said, we've had a bit more sadness at the Double A this past week. Large Marge had a sudden and what looked like very painful death. I was going to give them their evening feed, and noticed that she did not look well at all, so I got Aaron and we tried to get her to respond, but it wasn't any use. Aaron was such a trooper. He held her while I freaked out, then she did a little spasm and collapsed and he looked at me and said, "She's no longer with us!" I wanted to cry (and I did) and I wanted to kiss him at the same time. He's just so cute.

We both wept and dug a little chicken grave.

We found out later that there is something called Sudden Death Syndrome common in chickens her age, so it was likely that, as she was in good health otherwise.

So we were back to where we started in the beginning of the summer, needing to find a friend for Henny-Penny. Luckily, we found one quickly this time. There is a newspaper called YOUR BULLETIN BOARD that lists all kinds of farm ads. I wish we would have known about it sooner. Anyway, we got another Red Star. However, she has a lot of white on her.

She's really pretty. She does seem to be quieter than Large Marge, but she has a different sound than HP. She almost sounds like a cat meowing. We haven't picked out a name yet. We need to give her time to adjust, as she's still a little scared.

No comments: