Monday, September 21, 2009

Update 9/21/09

Tomorrow is officially the first day of fall. Summer was wild. Work was so busy, the garden needed constant attention, etc, etc. Where did it go? A couple of weeks ago I noticed that I finally felt like I came up for air and was able to take some deep breaths. I got some long-overdue reading done, some craft projects checked off the list, practiced yoga. I am hoping that with fall I will find more time to slow down. I spent the part of this weekend that I wasn't working actively trying not to think about anything important. Mostly, I spent some quality time playing in the wood shop.

Oh, the joys of the scroll saw! I wasn't planning on learning to use it just yet, but I found myself jigging away like a little elf.

There is something really healing about sawing through a hunk of wood. It's all about the feel and the smell. Working with natural materials is always special.

By the afternoon, I already had a few forest friends cut and smoothed out. I can tell this is going to be a new obsession. I am seeing some really beautiful things done with watercolors and wood online and I'm really excited to give it a go.

Speaking of forest friends, as a cheer-up gift (we all need one of those once in awhile, don't we?) my friend Joan gave me a set of just about the cutest things I've ever seen:
Forest Fairies, just in time for autumn. They are so precious! I keep setting them up and rearranging them. They're just too perfect. I really want to try this as a craft project. Oh, there are so many things to make! I can't imagine why anyone would ever be bored.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That bear is cool. My favorite thing to paint on is unfinished wood. The paint sinks in and you can do all sorts of fun things. I'm jealous of your productivity. You guys look really happy. -Meg

T said...

the best thing about the forest fairies is that you can still play with dolls even when you're 'big'....I am very impressed with your first jigsaw creations!