Monday, April 26, 2010

Crazy Hippie Jelly

Aaron: How does it make you feel that, for your first time canning anything, you made crazy hippie jelly?


I feel great about it! Success! We had all of these violets growing in our yard and I had been wondering what I could do with them, if they were edible, etc, etc. And then I stumbled across this recipe and I knew that I should try it. I am sure my neighbors think I'm crazy. I was crawling around on our lawn for an hour and a half picking flowers while two little chickens followed closely behind.


One neighbor even stood out on his deck and asked if I'd been stung by a bee or something. Embarrassing. But it's good to use what grows around you and come winter, these little pots of sugared jewels will be a welcome reminder of spring.

This recipe was very easy, but the canning of it was a little high-stress. I kept wishing that I had a grandma there to show me how it's done. Not quite sure I mastered it. Are you supposed to put it into the jars while it's still boiling or take it off the heat to fill the jars? Help!

Anyway, I have 10 little jars of violet goodness in my pantry, so I guess I did something right!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Amber, I wouldn't see why it would matter when you put the jelly in the jars. But I know nothing about this. Why is it called crazy hippie jelly? Does it taste weird? Looks pretty though.

cloudberryjam said...

Just because that's what Aaron calls it. It's not strawberry or something normal, I guess. It tastes really nice. We were kind of obsessed with this rose petal jam that Aaron's aunt made. Aaron's mom smuggled it back from Israel for us a few years ago. It kind of tastes earthy or something. Sweet and mild.

T said...

I love the name...although Violet Jam is also nice. It looks beautiful....and I am so please you've finally canned something! : ) I've been wanting to do this with you for a long time: it's one of the very few things I've mastered related to cooking.

The heat from the dishwasher should make the jars sterile enough to safely use. It's much easier to take the jars out, fill them, put the lids on, and then place them in boiling water. The most important thing is that each lid 'pops', or seals. If not, refrigerate and use soon.

what a beautiful use of the violets in the yard...and I am certain the 2 of you will soon be known as the crazy hippie neighbors : )
Love you,
mom

Brow said...

"I am sure my neighbors think I'm crazy. I was crawling around on our lawn for an hour and a half picking flowers while two little chickens followed closely behind."

The image alone is amazing.

cloudberryjam said...

I should mention that I call the jelly violet jelly. I just called this post crazy hippie jelly.

Pat said...

Beautiful!