Thursday, July 28, 2011

On the Needles, on the Nightstand

Knitting: Wedding Washcloths from the Purl Bee
Reading: The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
and Harry Potter and the Camber of Secrets (#2) by J.K. Rowling

I just finished Devil in the White City recently and all I can say is "wow." It blew me away. I had a really hard time putting this book down, however, because half of it is about America's first (documented) serial killer, it was so scary that I only let myself read it when Aaron was home. The other half, about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, was just as fascinating. So much was happening at that time in America. We think of this as a time when technology changes rapidly, but the amount of things that were changing at that time really shows that this is nothing new.

When I wasn't letting myself read Devil, I was reading the second Harry Potter book. I don't know why. I guess the combination of being in school and it being summer made me want something light. Also, I am trying to read books that I won't necessarily have to keep when we move, so this was a candidate. I don't know what it is about the Harry Potter books, but I find them incredibly boring and slow and I am really not interested in any of the characters whatsoever (perhaps Ron is okay, though). I suppose this might be good to read in line at the bank or waiting in the dentist's office, but I just don't know. I'll finish it, but it didn't compel me to read the rest any more than the first one did. Definitely glad I won't be lugging it to RI.

Knitting more washcloths, as always. I love how fast they are. I can finish one in just a couple of days. I love the seed stitch ones in the above link.

No comments: