Monday, February 1, 2010

Incredible India


Let me start off by saying that India was a totally wonderful, totally draining experience that I am so happy to have had the chance to go. It was like no other place I have had the privilege of visiting. Of course, vast wealth and vast poverty mingled at every corner. One thing to note: seeing people live their lives gives you a unique perspective. I never felt sorry for anyone there, even as they were showering or shitting on the roadside. This is life and they are living it. It might be different than mine, but it is no less fantastic. It’s so important to realize that saving the world isn’t always a good thing because you’re saving it in your image, when theirs is just as valid. The richness of life was felt in full.

The sights were gorgeous. Beautiful buildings, beautiful landscapes. Fields of mustard waiting to be pressed into oil. Bold colors, pink cities. Of course, there is the Taj Mahal. Can I just say it is covered with the most intricate inlaid marble I’ve never seen. It is more incredible than pictures can convey. And yet, it is small inside. You feel that she is protected there. Having seen (or rather, not seen) all that the British had looted out of India , I am so surprised it is intact at all. Did you know that once upon a time the Brits rented it out to honeymooners? Seeing the Taj was worth the trip.


My favorite city was Jaipur. Everything is painted pink or constructed in Pink sandstone. It’s gorgeous. I loved the Hawa Mahal (The Palace of Winds) and the Amber Fort (of course!). Hawa Mahal is just this incredibly vertical palace in the middle of the city and it reminded me of a pipe organ or something.

And the Amber Fort was just all around gorgeous. It was classic Hindu style, beautiful decoration. So much fun to wander.

I won’t mention the bad stuff like 9 hour bus trips, food poisoning, cancelled flights and Al Qaeda terrorist threats. We were so lucky to have had the chance to go to such a unique country.

1 comment:

barefoot in gitchigumee said...

breathtaking, love your new dress, and glad you made it home safe xo