Monday, May 3, 2010

My brain must have developed new patterns for cilantro flavor

Here is a really interesting article on a topic that comes up with regularity in our household: the notion that, for some, the soapy taste experienced while eating cilantro is due to a genetic predisposition and sensory function.

I found this article to be really helpful in explaining why I used to think cilantro tasted like soap and now I find it to be delicious. It has become one of the top 5 constantly used ingredients in our household.

I had never had cilantro until I moved to Boston. The first time I had it I was like: "why would anyone eat something that tastes like soap?!" I kept encountering it, much like the author of the article, and it took about five years or more for the taste to change for me and just within the last three or four years, it has totally transformed into green goodness. Which seemed odd, as I knew I was supposedly genetically predisposed to taste soap, so why the change? Read the article.

This totally convinces me that my theory about taste is accurate: you create your palate. There may be things you might not like, but if you work on that, you can totally change your tastes. Something you don't care for or just feel so-so about can become a favorite taste if you practice.

I hate to harp on the WV thing as always, but I just find this so interesting. Some West Virginians, as far as I can tell, have the most sensitive palates I have ever encountered. Any slight recipe variation or addition is likely to become a tragic event. I've had to completely retool my old potluck/cookout standbys because my dishes haven't been touched a number of times. (Which, really, is okay with me because I get to take it home, but still....) Goat cheese? Forget it. Sharp cheese is even a deal-breaker. Remember that delicious pasta salad with the Gorgonzola and kalamata olives that I'm sure you've had if you've attended any bbq with me? I can't make it here. Green food is pretty much a no-no, but I still make spinach dip because there are at least two processed foods used in it. Anything sweet is okay. Salty is good. Processed is better. Lately, I turn to the backs of containers for recipes that might be acceptable at a gathering. Now, this isn't everyone, obviously. But people are really not afraid to hurt your feelings and say something like "oh, it has _____ in it? Eeeww."

But, I think it's just a comfort-zone thing. I struggle, because I know you can work to overcome these prejudices. If you want to.

1 comment: