Monday, May 10, 2010

Scattered Sushi

I found this article from Bittman, one of our very favorite foodies (Aaron says: “he’s a man after our own hearts and stomachs”) and I thought I would share it because there has been a lot of this happening in our household.

For the past two weeks and counting, Aaron and I have been taking fishless sushi to work for lunch. Sorry there are no pics…mornings are dysfunctional enough. Anyway, let me tell you: it’s awesome. I love lunch again. And it’s healthy as all get out.

We don’t roll the sushi, but we do it salad style and call it “scattered sushi.” I do about a ½ cup of sushi rice (Aaron does more because he’s a growing boy), I use black sesame seeds, which adds a nice touch. We’ve been doing matchstick carrots, English cucumber, pretty radish, bell pepper and (my favorite) avocado. Once in a while I’ll throw in a fake crab stick if I’m feeling sassy. We’ve just been adding the soy sauce to the bowl and throwing a generous dollop of wasabi to the center. We use scissors to cut strips of nori for the top. That’s it. And it’s delicious. I end up constructing perfect little sushi bites at my desk which is so much more fun than the sheer bovinity of a typical salad.

Now we have many more ideas to play around with.
Thanks, Bittman!

No comments: