Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eggplant complete


I finished the eggplant hat. I'm very happy with it. It is way cuter in person, sorry for the bad picture.

I also finished The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food and Love by Kristin Kimball. But not without bawling my eyes out, first. This book was a great way to enjoy another person's passion about farming and also understand how very hard it can be. It's the true story of Kimball's decision to leave her life in the city, take up with a man she hardly knows, and start a complete diet CSA. That means providing everything 100 of your closest neighbors would need food-wise each week, year-round. The idea seems incredibly novel, genius, and daunting. She takes us through her first year and uncovers both the hardships and triumphs that she and her husband encounter. I am so glad that she included bits about animals dying and how she and her husband deal with that aspect of the profession. Likewise, I think that this book really allowed me to get a better idea of what I want in a farm (certainly not a full-diet CSA). Generally, it was a fascinating, quick read and I highly recommend it.

No comments: