Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Foraging

It seems so early in the year, but we have been busy outside. I have spent much time doing a bit of foraging lately, in search of wild edibles. Our friend called us up to let us know that the hillside near her house was covered with ripe ramps, a kind of wild leek very popular in West Virginia. So we sped over there and started digging. One bucketful gave us enough to be a little overwhelmed, but we've been eating, preserving and enjoying them all week.

While I was on a roll, I decided to assess the dandelion situation in our yard and pulled quite a few up to use in salads. I'm interested in using the roots, too. Apparently, they make a good tea.

And then there are the violets. Oh, they are gorgeous. Remember this? I'd like to do something with them again this year, but I'm not sure what. They're just too lovely to pass up, though.

No comments: