Wednesday, April 6, 2011

On the needles, on the nightstand


Knitting lush, purple cotton in the round to make a little eggplant hat. Pattern details.

I have been doing a lot of reading for school since I got back from MI. Specifically, I am reading a lot of books about food for a paper I am writing on gingerbread in children's literature.

Voracious Children: Who Eats Whom in Children's Literature
by Carolyn Daniel is a really fascinating book and I enjoyed reading it as much as I would have if I'd read it outside of school. Lots of discussion about children eating in kids books.

Sweetness and Power: The Place of Sugar in Modern History
by Sidney W. Mintz was an interesting read, as well. It made me think a lot about current food trends and how something so regionally specific can become a staple in diets across the globe.

And I've started reading The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love by Kristin Kimball for fun. It was a Christmas gift from my mother. So far, it is hard to put down!

No comments: