Sunday, December 9, 2007

Christmas Extravaganza


My gift to you this holiday season, my lovlies, is a trip through Christmas, as I see it. If you don't know, I love Christmas. I live for Christmas. It is a season charged with potential...it is what you make it, so I always have big plans. Right around July I start feeling ready for snow and ice and lights and trees.

And it's all my mom's fault. She totally did this to me. When I was a kid, Christmas was a huge deal. We always got the biggest tree we could find (one year we had to hold it up with twine nailed into the walls) and it was imperative that we created the biggest, best Christmas ever. Once, we had two trees: one real and one fake. My mother decided to let me convince her to leave the fake one up all year. The friends who came over during the summer thought it was awesome. Of course, they were 10 years old. But the tree up all year is just a detail. We would also listen to Christmas music all year, too (more about the repercussions of that later). So my mom gave me awesome Christmases and now I'm bent on reproducing that childhood feeling of wonder and merriment. Or whatever. My goal is to give to you the things that make my holiday season great: old traditions, new traditions, memories, favorites, etc. So, even though by this point we are well into December, let's pretend I started this the day after Thanksgiving.

Grab yourself a cup of cheer and let the holiday in.

1 comment:

T said...

Remember the Christmases at the cabin? That tree also nearly completely filled the house-- not hard to do, had as many presents as could fit under it, and battery-operated tree lights (no electricity there!). The wood cookstove dried your wet mittens til they were toasty warm and nearly crisp - & always had a pot of hot cocoa simmering on the back and a warm batch of giant sugar cookies ready to be decorated with sprinkles & candies. The Christmas tree for the birds outside the window, gingerbread houses, snowmen & snow angels, listening for Santa's sled on the cabin rooftop, and, of course, Christmas music....

Hoping your first Christmas in your first 'real' house of your own is just as magical.
Love you, mom