Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"Christmas isn't just a day, it's a frame of mind" - Miracle on 34th Street

Here is a list of movies that one should watch at least once during the Christmas Season. Without them, Christmas just isn't the same. I am on a constant lookout for new favorites, so if anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Amber's Holiday Movie Must-Sees


National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation -- The best holiday movie ever. My mom is so Clark Griswold. Fun Old-Fashioned Family Christmas? --We better have it, or else! Best line: "I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is. Hallelujah. Holy shit. Where's the Tylenol?"



Little Women -- (any version will do, but the Winona Ryder one carried me through my formative years) Okay, so it's not entirely Christmas-themed, but Alcott does Christmas so well. This is a popcorn stringing movie...or a movie for that snowy Sunday afternoon, the one where it seems so painful to get out from under the blankets or off the couch. Aaron put it in for me last night and hand fed me popcorn.


Home for the Holidays -- This is technically a Thanksgiving movie, but if you count Thanksgiving as a gateway holiday, as I do, then no list is complete without it.


It's a Wonderful Life -- I know, it's like the Christmas movie, but it's just so good. You have to watch it once.

Scrooged -- I think this is a wonderful remake and I love just about everything about Bill Murray. It's a little 80's, but whatevs, it's still funny.

A Christmas Story -- Okay, I'll admit it, I don't love this movie. It's annoying. But, it's not terrible and you can't escape Christmas without seeing it at least (at least) once because that channel plays it for like 72 hours straight or something.


Christmas movies that nearly make the cut:

Love Actually
Bad Santa


There are various tv Christmas specials that are great, too, like How the Grinch Stole Christmas, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and etc, but since we don't have tv I'm trying not to think about them too much. And when I was little, The Christmas Toy was the best Christmas movie ever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

[Props man tries to attach antlers to a mouse]
Props man: I can't get the antlers glued to this little guy. We tried Crazy Glue, but it don't work.
Frank Cross: Did you try staples?

I thought to myself - if she has scrooged we are bffs 4eva.

The christmas toy. I loved that movie too. shit. i forgot about it. it makes me wonder what other movies i've forgotten about.