Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas Recap

Well, the plane landed, the gifts were put to use, the ornaments put away: the Christmas season is winding down. It happens every year.

Aaron and I had a nice Christmas in Michigan. We spent time visiting everyone, including him:


We ate so much food. In the Midwest, everything is made with cream cheese. You know: dips, spreads, fillings, etc. I bet between the two of us we ate more than 3 bricks. We made a promise not to eat cheese until the spring. Yikes. But there were also cookies. I should have taken a picture of my favorite this year: marzipan Christmas trees. They were so good and really easy. It was nice to see my mom. I haven't seen her since June. We usually stay in my great grandma's old house when we go there, and my mom decorated it all up for us with a real tree and everything. It was so nice. We watched a bunch of movies and cooked almost the whole time. It snowed and snowed the day after we got there, so there wasn't much else to do. On Christmas Eve, we did do this:




Which was fun.

And I fell in love with the cutest thing since Elf:

But I couldn't keep him.



I knew that this Christmas would be a tough one financially, so throughout the year I had sewn these little bird ornaments to give to people. I prefer getting something homemade, myself. There is something special about some homemade mittens or slippers or anything else. My dad's mom makes rag rugs and gives me one every year. They're beautiful. I've made a few.
The birds turned out nice enough, but I still felt really bad that I didn't buy anything. I kept telling myself that it's the thought that counts and it's not about how much money you spend on someone, but it still sucked that I couldn't get people the usual junk. All year I was so excited to be making something special and then when the time came, I was so embarrassed to give them out. Whatever. I keep telling myself that next year so much more will free up, we'll be in a lot better shape.



But Christmas was good. Santa came. Aaron and I got each other the same gift, which means that we were meant to be.

5 comments:

Dusty said...

Just so you know, we love the ornament you made. Something like that does mean more than alot of this mass-produced junk. It's also so nice. It's another memory to add to our tree.

Pat said...

Amber, I loved the bird ornament you made. It looked like it came from an exclusive gift shop! I was surpised when you said you made it!It meant a lot to me that you put all that time into making a gift for me. I think we should make our gifts more often. That makes them special! Now you will need to search for a gift you can make us all next year. I just might look too!!

Unknown said...

We made a promise not to eat cheese until the spring. - I will visit then.


Also, what did you and aaron get eachother?

cloudberryjam said...

We both got each other a copy of the book "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" by Kate Dicamillo to read aloud together.

T said...

My favorite gift was the bird ornament --- it's hanging in the middle of an arched walkway in my house in Kenya.