Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas Wedding

In my dream life, I am planning the perfect Christmas wedding. It seems like it would be a wonderful opportunity to combine two special days. However, all things considered, when planning the actual wedding, I didn't think it was very fair to Aaron or his family to go ahead with my vision. We may not be having the traditional Jewish wedding, but I didn't want to be like "here's a bunch of cultural references that you don't even know, based on a completely separate religion, and by the way, we're having ham stuffed lobster and it's on Saturday." It was a hard dream to give up, but I just thought it was pushing it.
So, though I'm not having my Christmas wedding, I'll tell you how it would be. Of course, there would be snow. We'd hold it at the beautiful Inn in Vermont where Aaron proposed, wintery and decked out for the holidays. A few days before the wedding there would have been a big blizzard, but it would have died down to a constant dusting for the weekend of the wedding. The colors, of course, would be red and white with touches of green. I would wear a deep burgundy velvet Victorian-style dress and instead of flowers, I would carry an ermine muff. Aaron would look like a character from Dickens with a deep green velvet suit.
We'd get married in front of a roaring fire and a huge Christmas tree, 20 feet or more, with clear lights and red ribbons. The room would be decorated with big vases filled with tall, spindly branches of red winter berries and we'd hire the Vienna Boys Choir to sing me down the aisle.
After the ceremony, we would all get on our capes (of course, all of the guests would also be dressed in Victorian style) and our earmuffs and we would go outside, where, rather than a first dance, Aaron and I would skate around the frozen pond, arm in arm (of course I would still have my muff), and then everyone would join us. We would have people roasting chestnuts and handing out hot spiced wine and apple cider. The snow would those big flakes that get caught in your eyelashes.
Afterwards, we'd all go in for a traditional English Christmas dinner: each table would have a roast goose as a centerpiece, and each guest would have their own, personalized Christmas gift. Again, there would be a huge tree. Gingerbread for dessert.
And at the end, Aaron and I would be swept away by a horse-drawn sleigh, jingling down the snowy lane.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

im sorry I had to call the cliche police

cloudberryjam said...

Dude, I had to call them on myself!