Monday, December 10, 2007

The Golden Compass

Aaron and I have been gearing up for this movie for the past couple of months. When we first moved here, we comforted ourselves by reading the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Perhaps we were a little late in discovering these books, but we were no less enthralled with them and upon discovering that they were to release a movie, we were all the more excited.

And I have to say, the movie met most of our expectations. It was amazing. There were just a few minor details that strayed from the first book, but other than that, it was a beautiful recreation of it. I thought it was perfectly cast (Sam Elliott should be in everything...or I should just hire him to narrate my life) and, as someone who has a hard time with animation (maybe I should post about Beowulf the Movie. Long story short: I fell asleep! And I went to the 3D version!) I felt that the animated characters in the Golden Compass seemed more real than anything I've seen before. Iorek Byrnison was nearly as heroic and complex as Philip Pullman wrote him.


Also, check out Lyra's awesome hat. Throughout the whole second half of the movie I was trying to figure out how I could make one. It doesn't seem too hard...maybe I'll give it a shot over Christmas.

No comments: